October 13, 2016
****REPORT CARD DAY***
2nd Nine Weeks
ESSENTIAL QUESTION: What makes a winner?
** Grading Scale
10% Nine weeks test
Freak the Mighty Project
Revised: Complete all of the following activities by Thursday, October 6.
- Illustrate one of your favorite scenes in the book. 5 points
- The beginning of the book explains the physical description of both Freak and Max. Draw and label pictures of Freak and Max. Make sure you label each characteristic and also cite where you found it in the book. (ex. “shiny braces strapped to his crooked legs” pg. 2). 10 points
- Prepare a timeline highlighting the history of robotics. The timeline should include at least 10 typed events. 10 points
- Find 20 important words throughout the book that are new to you. Complete a template for each word. Use the context of the word from the book to help you. 20 points ( Picture, sentence, and definition of the word)
- We hear the story of daycare the way Max remembers it. Write a one page story about daycare from Freak’s point of view. Pretend that you are Freak and tell what daycare was like for you. Make sure your story is type neatly and correctly. 25 points
- Freak teaches Max about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Create a story about an exciting quest. You must use the words: slaying dragons, Fair Guinevere, knights, King Arthur, Excalibur, and quest. (Refer to page 17). Research on the topic is required. 30 points
Subtotal: Points deducted/added: Total:
- Project must be in a folder of some sort where all pages are secured with brads.
- Creativity is KEY. The more creative, the better! J
- A cover sheet MUST be the 1st page in the folder, including: the book title, author’s name, student’s name, class period, and date turned in. The cover sheet may be decorated.
- This sheet MUST be the 2nd page in the folder.
- Items 2 though 6 must be typed. All information must be neat and legible.
- Illustrations must be completed by the student, not an artistic friend or relative!
- Every activity must be labeled in the TOP, RIGHT HAND CORNER with the activity number. Also, the activities should be placed in order in a folder.
- Everyday that this project is late will result in a deduction of 10 points from the project grade.
Plan ahead, and have fun! This is a TEST/PROJECT grade!
Progress Reports for the 1st Nine Weeks go home
Thursday, September 1
WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL
August 3, 2016
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I hope you had a wonderful summer and are looking forward to the jump start of another school year. I have been given the opportunity to work at Southaven Middle School as English Language Arts teacher and would like to introduce myself. I am Ms. Chester, your child’s 7th grade teacher for the 2016-2017 school year at Southaven Middle School. I am delighted to have your child in my class this year, and I am looking forward to a very successful year, as I know you are too. I have high expectations for your child and I will be doing all that I can to help your child achieve those expectations.
I will be expecting all work assigned in class to be completed. Of course, all children do not work at the same pace, so I will provide an ample amount of time for assignments to be completed. Homework will be sent home twice a week. Please make sure your child completes his/her homework assignments. Progress report will be sent home for you to sign and return each nine weeks. This is to keep you updated on your child’s academics.
I am expecting your child to be on his/her best behavior. To ensure this, we (the class) have classroom rules that we must follow. I am providing you with a list of our rules and consequences.
You have been provided with a list indicating the supplies that your child will need. Please make sure that your child has all the supplies that he/she needs for a successful year.
I look forward to building a relationship with each of you. I am always available for any questions or concerns that you may have throughout the year. You may contact me by leaving a message at the middle school or by e-mail. I am more than happy to set up meetings with you immediately after school or during my planning period. It is important to me that your child is comfortable and confident in his/her classroom environment. I want all the best and most positive experiences for your child during the upcoming school year! Together, let’s make this a fantastic school year! J
Shuntay Chester, ELA
*Phone- Southaven Middle School (662) 280-0422
These supplies are essential to our classroom, and will be used on a daily basis!
1 10 pack (or larger) #2 pencils
2packages of Loose-leaf notebook paper
2 Black/Blue Pens
3 boxes of Kleenex
2 Rolls of Paper Towels
3 pack Dry Erase Markers / 2 Highlighters
24 pack of Colored Pencils
2 Pack of Colored Sticky Notes (Small and Large packs)
1 Ream of Colorful card stock paper or Colorful copy paper
Scissors (They will keep these themselves so they can be used in other classes)
2 Fine Point Black Sharpies
2 Glue sticks
1 Hand Sanitizer
2 Disinfecting Wipes
1 USB Flash drive (used by all grades)
If you would like to contribute any of the following items to our classroom, it would be greatly appreciated.
Students who bring their supplies by Monday, August 15th, will receive a 100 for their first grade of the 9 weeks.
1st Nine Weeks
ESSENTIAL QUESTION: What determines who you become?
During this nine-week period, we will be exploring this essential question in many ways through the use of different texts and books: Do our circumstances determine who we become? The book we will be using this nine weeks is Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick. The book that will be used for the 2nd 9 week period is We Beat the Streets by Sampson Davis. Books for the remaining 9 week periods will be announced at a later date. Thank you for your prompt attention and support in this area.
Sign up for Remind: Text @mschesters to 81010.
I highly recommend you sign up for REMIND 101 as soon as possible. I will use this throughout the year to remind you and your child of upcoming tests, projects, quizzes, homework, progress reports, etc. The codes for sign-up are located in the Parent Packet I sent home the first week of school.
Essential Questions and Books
—1. What determines who you become?
1st Nine Weeks
—Freak the Mighty-Rodman Philbrick
—2. What makes a winner? 2nd Nine Weeks
—We Beat the Streets-Sampson Davis
—3. How do we fight injustice? 3rd Nine Weeks
—Book to be announced
—4. What should we learn? 4th Nine Weeks
—Students will choose a book based on certain guidelines.